The Old Man From Kerala

Reception guy : Mam there is an old guy outside , knows only malayalam can u speak to him .

Security guard : i shouted at him told him to leave

ME : pl dont shout ...will find out what first

I go out to the reception expecting to find a trouble maker ...
Instead i find a bend old man with a big bag .
Old man : Mol malayalee aano ? (daughter are u a malayalee )
me : yes
old man : oh valiya ashwasam , mol enne onnu sahayikyamo ( oh what a relief , can u pl help me )
ME : what is it you want do u want to meet anyone here ?
OM : No i want a job .

I am shocked ..at this age when he should be resting he walks around for work ...

ME : do u know anyone in chennai why did u come here ?
OM : I dont know anyone , i came here since i have heard people say u get jobs in chennai ...I used to be a cook but now i have a lot of debts ... i need a job ...can i be a peon ..i will do anything u say .
ME : i will give u malayalee club address , u can approach them maybe they will help u .
OM (with a shimmer of hope in his eyes ) : oh thank u thank u ...may god bless you ..but what if they dont have a job for me ... i cant show my face at my native ...u know iam an old S.S.C passed ...i know even english

Such a simple person ...still living in his world of simplicities and innocence ....he knows not that the world has changed ...that world of innocence in which he lived is no more ...what survives is a world of crime , lies , hypocrisy , back stabbing , ego , greed ...but why ...i cant tell him this He may live for a few more years or weeks or days ....maybe few more days ...if he does not get the job .
I had seen that desperate look in his eyes .

But what striked me was the ten minutes i spoke that i spoke to him his SMILE never left his face ...that tired face and eyes that tols a hundred stories about his miseries and his pain .

I pray god helps him ...give him a job ...take away his pain for atleast some days that he has left on this cruel earth .I may never see him again but i pray his hopes are not in vain ...i wish he closes his eyes finally with that innocence still in them and not with the pain that his world had betrayed him .

Comments

first_synn said…
I stayed innocent. And the world screwed me over manyfolds. well, not gonna make that mistake again... :P

Popular Posts