I Want the world to know HIM

Some voids and empty spaces are never filled up ..because you can never find anything that would do justice or anything that would be perfect enough to fill it up ... or because the person whose loss created that emptiness was one of a kind and nobody can ever be like that ........
Such a precious gem was Venu kochachan ,my uncle , my playmate , my teacher and my best friend .
My fathers youngest brother Venu ..... the darling of his parents and his siblings ,the best friend of all his nephews and nieces ,the bond that kept together everyone as a family ,the medicine that healed everybody's wounds ,the bandage that mended broken hearts , the heart that knew only to love and give and share and bear .
He was perfect in every way ...........
We lived in Bombay and came down on vacations to Kerala our native . The times that i spend with him in my vacations were the best .......he brought me all the silly toys .. the best was a butterfly attached to a wheel on a long stick ....... and when i ran pushing the stick on the ground it flapped its wings .Then a car that did crazy rounds and somersaults .
He took me for rides on his bycycle and his friends scooter ....... wow i loved it when he allowed me to ring the bell and horn i used to make a racket on the road , and he enjoyed the madness with me just like a child
When i fell down he taught me that having a bandage on your body meant that you were brave and adventurous and not a coward and that it was a badge of honour that separated u from cowards and cry babies ......... from that day wounds were not cried on but borne with pride !!!
My father was very strict .... while doing my homework if i used the eraser i got a firing for being careless ....... he is the one who showed me that if i use the eraser and rub on it with a soft cloth then it looks neat and people will not know i rubbed ... ha ha ha
We were never allowed to go to theaters for movies .....so what did he do .he got me a VCR so i could see movies at home ....... of course he got a firing from my father for spending too much money ........ and he fought back saying she is my little one and if i cant do anything for her then i will never set foot in this house again !!!! Wow my uncle my hero
He and his 2 best friends Baby uncle and Jayan uncle were my best friends too .They taught me to ride my cycle ..... and for every fall i got a juice and chocolates .
You know he did those crazy magic tricks with stones and cards and i wa always so amused ......he taught it to the security of my apartments too ......All the children in the building wanted to play with him learn his tricks and iremember me being proud that he was my uncle my best friend .
Then he went to Muscat for his job .... i missed him a lot .When he came for visits he brought loads of gifts , and again braved my fathers firings for spending money . wHENEVER HE CAME he made sure we had family get togethers ......Family was always important to him , Family ties , bonds everything ...
Once when he came he told me You know for your wedding i am going to do so many things , i will buy you whatever you want and i promise i will make it grand ..... Later on his wife and one of my favourite aunts Sujatha kunjamma told me he would always speak to her about doing so many things for me and that he always felt that he was doing less for me .
The day before his death he came to our house and arranged a family get together the next day at my grandfathers home .Then suddenly he asked my mother for her mango pickle .........and she couldn not give it to him as it was over but she promised to make some for him the next day .....He treated my mother his brothers wife as his own mother ... so much respect maybe even i cannot give my mother ...
Then he went off promising me that he would come the next evening at around 4 in the evening ......but he could never keep his promise .... God did not let him keep his promise ......
That day we found that my father was upset when he came home from work and he was late too since saturdays were usually half days ...... When we asked him he said that traffic was blocked on the road since some big accident had taken place , the road was covered with blood and that an oil tanker had hit a scooter driver knocked him under the vehicle and dragged his mangled body on the road , a case of hit and run ......witnesses had said this and my father was sure that the scooter driver was dead .
My father brought his favourite snacks , my mother made his mango pickle and we were all eagerly waited for him ....
On December 1oth ,1996 At 4 o clock one of my uncles came and called my father outside , they spoke something and my father came inside his face white with disbelief , anger ,sorrow , horror ...........venu kochachan had met with an accident and the description and location matched the one he had witnessed that day .......
My father had been there and seen the blood and the remains of the scooter not knowing that his brother lay on the road crushed under the tyres of a truck driven by a monster a cruel monster a wretched wicked monster who had given a cruel end to such a gentle noble soul ......that bloody devil who did not even wait to look back once to know if he was dead or alive ........
Witness said that he was conscious when the traffic inspector rushed to him and carried him to the hospital , that he had desperately tried to utter some words which did not come out ........A person who had always been the bond in our family had died alone on the road with nobody near him even to give him a drop of water .......
A person who had given love , healed everybody's wounds , who had spread love, togeherness, sharing and caring had died in pain and loneliness ........ How could God be so cruel how could he even give a scratch to a soul like him ........He had dashed him to the road , torn his body apart dragged it around and left him to die o the road ..................
Such a horrible painful end to such a gentle person who knew only to love ..who did not hurt people even in his thoughts
As he had wished the family got together the next day at my grandfathers home not for a family reunion but to see him lying there motioneless , tied up and bandaged in white cloth , his face drained off blood and life and eyes shut forever ..........he would never look at me with those eyes ever again , he would never play card games or stone tricks and never buy me chocolates or butterflies on sticks with wheels , he would never rise again .
After 10 years it is now that i have opened up and got some strength to write about it ........
Those who read this pl pass this link to others and get them to read it too ....... I want the world to know my venu kochachan ...... This is all i can do for him ........ For the person who always felt that he is not doing enough for me ...For that person who gave me so much without actually giving , who blessed my life by just being in it ...for a very short time .
This is an ODE TO A NOBLE SOUL ....... A HEART THAT KNEW ONLY THE LANGUAGE OF LOVE , HE IS THERE ABOVE IN HEAVEN WATCHING ME AND MAYBE THINKING OF WHAT TO DO FOR ME NEXT ..............
I MISS YOU AND I WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW THAT LONG TIME AGO THERE LIVED AN ANGEL ON EARTH WHOM GOD CALLED BACK TOO EARLY, TOO SOON AND WHO LEFT AN EMPTY SPACE THAT WILL NEVER BE FILLED EVER AGAIN .....

Comments

Seema B Menon said…
my eyes r filled reading this... miss him a lot...
first_synn said…
No words.. I have absolutely no words..... You know what is running through my mind...
Unknown said…
chechi...great job....i really really appreciate your courage in writing this blog...its ofcourse your love for him tht gave u so much of strength to express the pain his departure gave u and tht too in such powerful language! really feels speechless...!

Popular Posts