A ODE to Vijaya Aunty ............Immortal in our Minds .

http://bloginterviewer.com/randomness/read-on-sindhu-manoj

A REQUEST TO ALL THOSE WHO READ THIS ...PLEASE READ IT FULLY .THAT IS THE ONLY WAS I CAN SHOW MY RESPECT TO THIS GREAT SOUL .... it is a bit lengthy but words are not enough to write about my" Aunty "

On Saturday 15th September 2007 .......fate created yet another vacuum in my life ..........It took away yet another part of my life .....yet another close one ......gave yet another proof that we cant change fate and that nothing is permanent ..............

Aunty ................ that word would not do justice to her but that is what i called her .
"Aunty " to my husband and me and " Amuma " (grandmother ) to my little one Ammu .

I am a tenant in her home for the past 4 and 1/2 years ........... but never felt that way .
The day i came to that house she was not there , had gone to her native .But my husband told me (when i was crying uncontrollably since i was separated from my parents ) ,dont worry here too u will have them just wait a week , Uncle and Aunty will be back .

After a week when i heard they had come i rushed down to meet them on the way to office ......and i saw her for the first time ...Vijaya Aunty......... .in her traditional white malayali "set mundu " .......a single white stone nose ring , a gold bangle with a green glass bangle and a red one , and a big red kumkum bindi on her forehead .........a very traditional grandmother and uncle tall with a very accepting smile .......and i knew it instantly ..that i was not far from my parents ...God had given them to me in another form ..
The acceptance was almost immediate on both sides .
Then there was Murali chettan (chettan = brother ) and his family .they too accepted me very fast .
And suddenly all the hurt , the desperation of being torn away from my parents and my native melted away ........... I was at Home .
She loved Ammu and there was not a day she spent without asking about her ....infact my Ammu has grown more in front of her than my parents ........She fought with her , played with her , taught her silly songs like " Boogie man , Boogie Man ......" and Appam chuttu ".............
Ammu never felt that she was away from grandparents ........Ammuma and Appopa were always there .
Aunty cared like a mother , taught like a teacher , scolded and corrected like a guide , worried for us more than ourselves , became upset whenever we had problems , and rejoiced when we were happy .....just like a child .............
I remember her pearly whites all well set and in a perfect line that she would flash when she smiled her most amazing open hearted smile ............A perfect proof of her pure clean heart ....that knew only to Give , to Care , to share , to accept and nurture .
I have heard several stories many incidents about her ...and in each one of it She would be on the giving end .......god had given her hands to give give and give ...and she gave till the day she left us .............
When i was sick she would enquire and keep check every hour , send me food and made me feel like am with my parents .......
I can never be alone ....it is almost like a phobia .........immediately i get depressed and upset also am too attached to my parents and always miss them ..................It is like she sensed this without my telling her ,,,,,,,,,,,, whenever i was alone she would call me down and i would spend time with her and it made me feel much better ...........
When u entered her home she would be sitting on the sofa near the door and she would welcome u as if she was seeing u after many years ..........with so much energy and genuine happiness ..........
There is so much to write but .maybe more on another day .

But suddenly on that fateful day she left us suddenly ..........leaving behind such a huge vacuum .........that nobody or nothing can fill ...............
As her son Manoj chettan said we are looking for excuses to fill in the vacuum ......but he knows and we all know it can never fill up now .......because she was one of her kind .there is no other Vijaya aunty ...........there is noone like her ..........and there will never be anyone like her .......

Even yesterday when i entered her home i first checked the sofa and prayed that a miracle happens and i see her sitting there and smiling her welcome smile .........
When i was up and i heard all the people talking i strained my ears to here that happy sound ............( in all gatherings and get togethers her energy was the most) ............ but i did not hear it ............
Now she will not ask me anything , she will not enquire anything , she will not send me food when i am sick , she will not teach crazy songs to my ammu , she will not take a walk in that corridor with her brown walking stick , she will not chant hymns while counting beads on her green bead chain which always ammu would take and put around her neck ...........she will not call out to uncle " Mani etta motor off cheyyu " (switch off the motor ) ........
She will not tell me stories and incidents about her young days , her car adventures when her close friend Seema was learning driving and her Best friend lakshmi aunty ............
her sons and their families will leave maybe in a weeks time and they would take uncle with them ....it is better he is not alone .............
If my grief is so much how much pain would he be going through ...................... don't even want to think about it ......
When they all go I will be alone ............ that house would not be same without aunty .....that sofa would be empty the table would be empty without her tissue box , her medicines , her water jug .................
i know it is silly but am still praying for a miracle to happen and when i go down she would be there on her sofa ...welcoming me just the way my mother does ...............and singing with ammu ........
" Boogie man , Boogie man .....
Ammukuttyye ppidichiko............ "" (boogie man an imaginary character being called to come and catch ammu ......and ammu would scream no no )
Her old but energetic mischievious voice stills rings in my ears ............

Aunty .........i miss u , always loved u , U can never be replaced by anyone .........i can never forget u , But i can do one thing ( I have never done anything for her till date .........) i can keep her alive in my mind and silently respect that great soul ..........and I have written and i earnestly pray that ......people all around the world read this and know the great person with the pearly white smile ......who always gave and cared .....for whom the doors of heaven would always be open ..........My Vijaya Aunty ...........everybodys Vijaya Aunty ...........She did not expire she has become Immortal and will live forever in our hearts and mind and soul .

Another request to all readers .........please leave your comments on this BLOG and let them be my Flowers of respect that i place at her feet .....................

Comments

Seema B Menon said…
I wish I had something to write in this comment column. But sometimes words may not do justice. Some loses are irreplaceable. Just pray for her soul. That's all there is left to do now.
Rowdy said…
It was really heart melting and I know this is really tough for you. I've nothing else but prayers for her soul.
Anonymous said…
hmmm...Sindhu, Do you know what I did after reading every single word of your post...very honestly...I just disconnected my internet connection, just stayed in silence for more than a minute and then gathered a little courage to write these words as I feel no amount of words can really feel her vacuum. And it happens with almost everyone of us when our very loved ones leave us forever...then we can only think in solitude that irreparable loss....We all humbly pray for her soul to rest in peace....and to You & your family, it is a part of life....Just Stay Strong!
Entertainer said…
No winter will last for long .. n no spring will miss its turn...
If parting creates more affection, then believe that death surely has a meaning
Arun K Nair said…
touching...really touching........
Unknown said…
Sindhu,Manoj and Ammu,I understand your feelings.My sincere prayers for her soul to rest in Peace.
first_synn said…
Although i have seen her only once or twice, i know how important a part she was, in all you lives... And I can empathize with you at this moment...

Godspeed, Vijaya auntie.. May you be in a better place..
Unknown said…
Sindhu's ODE left me with no words. I had to stop, with tears flowing down my cheeks.

Vijaya Aunty- my mother was a very kind soul who would go to any extent to do good to society. I was very fortunate to be able to look after her during her last days till she expired.

She did tell me that her time has come, and that we should all be good souls.

Hope and Pray that we live up to her wishes.

Popular Posts