A Second Chance..............


When i was in my 1st grade , our class went for a picnic to a Aarey Milk Colony .the milk plant that supplies milk to Entire Bombay ......after a bored visit to the plant (every second thinking when will this end and when the teachers will take us to the park )...finally we reached the park ....wow were we thrilled ???
In that excitement whatever the teacher told me fell on deaf ears and the only thought was play play play ...........And then i saw a a very steep , high flight of stairs and by the side was a concrete raised side bar and i thought wow a slide !!!!
Several other children were playing on it and i joined them ....when i was sliding down in sheer excitement somebody pushed me from behind ...and instead of sliding leg down .i started falling head down and before i knew it i had crashed down on a huge pointed stone ....then for sometime i dont remember anything ,neither did i feel the pain ..but i started getting a wet sensation on my back .......peolpe around me were shouting in horror and i realised on touching it was none other than my own blood that was soaking my back and my uniform ........but i felt no pain a t all .....later on the doctor said that the hit was so bad that my full head became numb instantly .....Then my teacher kept huge chunks of ice .still the blood flowed like it would never stop ....but i still felt no pain !!! Then they kept sugar and coffee powder and then after nearly half an hour the blood stopped flowing ........
My father feels anger rising in him even now when he thinks why they did not immediately rush me to a hospital .
In the evening at 6 o'clock when my mother picked me up at the bus stop i can never forget the horror and the pain and the tears that flowed when she saw my uniform now completely red .....i smiled at her and tried to comfort her saying it is ok amma i dont have any pain .........when i said this her tears flowed like a river ........She rushed me to a doctor and he told her to get my hair shaved in that part .......By that time my father came from office and he took me for my hair cut ...After that when the doctor examined me he sat on his chair and caught my fathers hand and said You are a very luck man if u had got her even 10 minutes late then maybe u would have lost her ..........What followed was a commotion of pain and tears and anger and confusion ........
He then send me to his Friend a surgeon who patched me up with 9 injections and 8 stitches around the wound .....To make things worse that numbness left me at exactly the same time when he started giving me the injections around the wound ....My mother later on told me that the doctor had seen my skull .the wound was that deep ......It took me a month of complete bed rest to recover ..........As the doctor said that day "Your daughter has been given a second life , Thank God for that "Even today i thank him for giving me this precious gift twice ........in one lifetime .....

Comments

Kalyan Panja said…
Life does sometimes gives us second chances or sometimes even more and it these chances that we should make it count to find out the true meaning of life. Sometimes isnt it the fact that any accident or a major incident in our lives helps us take a relook at out lives and more often than not we try to change ourselves into another direction, how much we succeed in it, thats another question but yes we should move on to discover life ahead...
Seema B Menon said…
Scary! I still feel scared when I think of that! I remember it used to pain even when u used to comb your hair after years... it still does, right?

Popular Posts