A Second Chance ......

http://bloginterviewer.com/randomness/read-on-sindhu-manoj
A second chance …………..

For those out there who don’t believe in God , for those out there who take life for granted ……read on ….a frightening incident that changed my outlook of life forever …..
This happened about a year ago . It was 3 months after my son was born . My mother , elder daughter ammu and me ..ofcourse with little Rohit in my mothers arms went for some shopping to a new store that had opened in our locality .

After we were done with the buying we proceeded to the billing counter . Since there was a crowd of people waiting to use the lift we decided to use the stairs . what we did not notice was how slippery the stairs were with the fresh polishing and the stylised round edges . My mother had been carrying the baby in her arms for quiet sometime now . Thinking it would be difficult for her to climb down the Long flight of stairs with him I took him from her arms . Holding him carefully and tightly … as I was always scared since he was so tiny …I kept my foot on the first stair . ..............
To my horror my leg slipped ......

I franctically tried to grab hold of the railing but fate decided otherwise and my hand too slipped on the slippery polished railing . The next five or ten seconds I don’t remember much , only that I was horrified and had only one thought in my mind . ....
There is a baby in my arms , my god the baby , am falling with the baby . A three month old had no chance of survival if he slipped and fell from my arms or worse still if while I tumbled down he got crushed beneath my weight ……..
I remember people screaming all around me , my mother voice , Ammus voice and many frightened horrified screams all around me . I do not know till date how I was able to keep sane at that moment ………presence of mind , I enveloped him fully inside my arms and twisted this way and that so that he did not touch the ground and that I don’t fall on him ……….It seemed never ending , the fall .

I was not sure for how long I could protect him , when suddenly a guy came rushing up the stairs and caught me and broke the fall !
I kept screaming my baby my baby , and the guy said ,” Mam he is all right , even a hair on his head has not been harmed “ . Rohit cried terribly but that was out of shock .
And then I looked up and saw to my horror that I had fallen down fifteen steps and there were still a few more , which I would have definitely fallen if not for that guy who saved me .
After that what happened was equally scary , little Ammu terrifed at what happened rushed down the stairs screaming !!! If she had lost her balance or her foothold then I cant imagine what would have happened .
I can never forget the look on my mothers face as she rushed down and took the baby from my arms and just hugged me for sometime ………. Her face white with fright , speechless but her eyes spoke of a million emotions all at once .

Later on she told me that what hurt her most was the fright and the helplessness and the agony that would have passed through my mind as I was falling ……and how it would have multiplied a hundred times over since I had the baby in my arms ………only a mother could understand that …..

This incident changed my whole outlook of life …….
I was given a second chance , to live my life .
I realized that life is not something we should take for granted .
What would have happened if instead of me my mother had fallen ………. She asked me this later ……..she said that if she had fallen with the baby in her arms Rohit would have definitely crashed down on the stairs …….
I was given a chance to protect a life that I had brought into this world ……… or was he send to protect me …..is that why after so many hours in my mothers arms he reached my arms seconds before I fell ……..
So many questions and answers flashed through my mind after this .
It gave me proof that there is an unseen force somewhere protecting us …..giving us second chances , teaching us that Life is beautiful and never to be taken for granted .

Till that day I always felt others were so lucky , that God kept forgetting me . But after that day I know I am among the luckiest few …….because there is no greater gift that life itself . And I had got it not once but twice ……. That in that huge crowd of people God had noticed me just when I needed him the most and held my hand and given me the strength to not let go of a life that I held in my arms .
He had given me a chance to do what he did for me …….. protect and love and give life ………
Till today I have not overcome my fright of stepping down staircases and even now sometimes I freeze while using stairs and then it takes me a moment to regain my senses that things will be fine ……….and I dread to think of what could have happened …….if Rohit had slipped from my hands .

And how can I forget that man who came rushing to my help , when others were frozen to their spots in fright …..If not for him ……..I do not know ………
He put himself in danger for me a complete stranger . He could have slipped himself and hit his head real bad …….but he risked all that for me a total stranger .
If he ever reads this blog I want to convey that I cant give anything in return since what he did for me cannot be equaled by money or words . But I owe my life to him and I cannot thank him enough … Thank you wherever you are .

A second chance …………… Am lucky to have got it .

Comments

Seema B Menon said…
:( scared to think about it even... thank god nothing happened...

Popular Posts