Spirited & Free

.
( Written 19.02.18, 5.30pm)

I stood ready with my pencil and my brush.
As soon as the canvas was placed in front of me I drew as fast as I could. I stood back to watch and I must say I had done a good job. But, she neither liked my painting nor my colours. She playfully tickled my feet and asked me to change it.
When I refused, she did it herself.
I got irritated but she soothed me immediatwly with her laughter and soft caresses.
I drew again. This time a bigger drawing. I was hoping to impress her. She walked close. She watched. She hummed her approval. But suddenly she threw water on it and laughed aloud. I saw my masterpiece destroyed mercilessly in seconds. I cursed. She laughed. I threw a stone at her hoping to keep her away. I moved further away from her. Maybe if she could not see, she would not react.
I drew again. Detailed and beautiful. She inched slowly forward. I smirked at her. Challenged her. My painting was safe. She laughed again. Her laughter echoed all around.
She moved back and played with the others nearby. I felt jealous. I tried to lure her closer. She did not look at me. She playfully ran around others. I could bear it no longer. I ran to her and before she could reach out, I ran back. She looked at me for a second and moved away again.
I sulked and ran to her again leaving my painting.
Like a trickster waiting for the right moment she rushed to my painting and erased it in one sweep of her practised hands.
I looked to the skies. She had won the bet.
I had to return what was rightfully hers.
She had begged and pleaded at my feet to have them back. But I had not noticed her.
I admired the little treasure I held. I started painting the potrait of my treasure. She angrily tore away my painting.Then she challenged me. If I could save atleast one of my paintings from her, she would allow me to keep her treasure, now mine.
But, if she won, I would return to her what was rightfully hers.
She had won. From noon to night I had kept painting. She erased each one of them, playfully and laughing all the time.
A bet was a bet. I slowly opened the jar and took out the tiny starfish. I lay it gently into her open arms. She roared with the joy of a conqueror, the relief of a mother, the joy of a friend. I stood watching, the mighty ocean taking away her own. Before leaving me she touched my feet with love, one last time.
Everyday I see her challenging another. Saving her own.
Some days she looses some challenges and people rip away from her pieces of her heart and happiness.
On those nights, when we lie to sleep, if we listen carefully, we can hear her silent sobs masked by roars of false laughter.
I asked her,
" Ocean , dear ocean,
I ask you this once
What makes you this spirited?
What makes you such fun?"

And she readily replied,

"I live for those creatures
Who find sanctuary in me.
When we live for others,
We are spirited , We are free. " 

Comments

Popular Posts